View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Good idea Bruce. I've got a Garmin, but never thought of using it for this application. I realize that tires of the same listed size can vary a little bit among brands. Plus, there's the tread depth factor. Surprisingly, engine rpm is very close at speed - too close to compare with a tach.

I changed pressure, because I want to get the best possible tread wear out of these. I know that many on here would say that max sidewall (or close to it) will not wear out the center of modern tires, but I need to quantify that for my own eyes before deciding. Plus, I can't seem to get myself a good tire pressure gauge. The local auto stores all have these Slime gauges that read bar and psi...but the psi measurement is barely legible!

I'm not sure if I can trust the chalk test for tire wear. Maybe I'll try it.

Mcrews, what may have jaded me is this: As of late, I had been experiencing some wheel hop in the rain. Maybe it was due to an empty bed or my tread level at the time. But in my mind I blamed it partially on the higher pressure, even if there may have been other factors. For this reason, I wanted to start out cautiously.

You're right though, JR, the difference is definitely there. I just don't know how much rr to attribute to the deeper tread versus the lower pressure.