View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #105 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
I think the real solution starts with a lower seat height to minimize frontal area. The Yamaha 250 Virago v-twin design has a really efficient little motor, a low seat height and combined with taller gearing is a real MPG winner. Adding aero to this bike should improve comfort, MPG and of course storage capacity, and possibly looks if done well.

The plan for the Yamaha Virago 250 (or chinese clone) is narrrow drag bars, a cut down and reshaped seat, a front fairing from a Hyabusa suitably modified, tapering side panels behind the riders legs, a rear cone and a fully enclosed land speed racer front fender fairing. I'd also like to extend the swingarm and middle of the frame about 4 - 6" to relocate the seat back farther and several inches lower. I'm thinking as much of an aerodynamic styling exercise as much as a practical aerodynamic exercise. It works in my mind and with gradeschool quality sketches, hopefully I can translate it into metal and plastic someday.
I think the key to the viability of an effective aero motorcycle is a low seat height, because of the ergonomics of getting on and off the bike are changed by not being able to swing your leg over the rear seat unless you can come up with some simple/easy way of moving the cargo box for getting on and off. On the GS500 I can get on and off quit well even though I have a 30" inseam, but lower is always better, I do like your plan for the 250V-twin, although I have my doughts about the need for swing arm extension. I am toying with the Idea of a Vulcan 500 as a low seat height aeroproject but I will need more info for that.