Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Nice work redyaris! Do you have any photos to post that show your current configuration?

An update on my Chinese 200. Still getting about 79mpg US regularly. No P&G, EOC or any advanced techniques. Freeway speeds are just about 100km/h, anything faster and the consumption goes way up. Tucking down gets almost exactly 5mph faster with the same throttle setting. I really need better aerodynamics with only 12hp available. Took a trip to the other side of the Cascade range last week for work. The steep mountain roads and running WOT in 4th at rpm somewhere between maximum torque and horsepower took a toll on the consumption - about 66mpg US for that trip.

Thinking about doing a high-velocity intake port modification this winter to improve mid range and hopefully mileage. Maybe increase compression a bit while I'm in there. Also I may try to make the aftermarket exhaust a little quieter. I like how quiet the stock is now though but it kills power and I'm sure is eating a few MPG due to the restriction, I'm running at 80-100% all the time on the freeway.

This little bike just doesn't have a very efficient combustion chamber. Simple, yes. Just not efficient. The counter balancer adds friction as well, but the smoothness is really nice.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
beatr911
I have been finding out what works in terms of EOC on a motorcycle and it is that any time you can see a stop or slow down ahead you should pull and hold in the clutch and use the killswitch to turn off the engine, after 2 or 3 seconds put the killswitch back in the run position and EOC to the stop or bumpstart in top gear and switch to the appropriat gear and drive on... as you get the "habit" you will find more and more situations to use it.
The only changes to the GS500 not is the GARAGE pictures, is the behind the rear wheel boat tail, which seems to have had a larger impact than I had emagined it would.
With respect to your plans for your bike I suggest that you stick to aeromodds as more power means more fuel... as you know. the area that would provide max benifit is tapered and fitted cargo boxes on the sides behind the riders legs, and some kind of boatail behind the rear wheel, non of which will change the utillity or ergonomics of the bike [getting on and off...]. you might find that then you can have the extra 5mph with out tucking down, plus the same mpg at 5mph higher speed...?
Cleaning up the ports and matching surfaces may help a bit but they all mean more fuel use. Higher compresion could help FE?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
redyaris, my commute has three possible stops in 30 miles, and two are predictable so I back off early keeping an eye to not impede traffic too much. As a percentage, the EOC doesn't do too much over a cluch in coast, I do however shut off on coast down at the one light if I know I'll be there for at least 15 seconds or so - helps engine cooling.

Agreed on making the aero better on the trailing surfaces.

I'm debating on how far I want to go with aero. There are still efficiency gains to be had with engine optimization that will also provide additional power to the wheel. I'm looking to sell the bike in the spring (or sooner) and would like to keep the appearance pretty close to stock.

I think the real solution starts with a lower seat height to minimize frontal area. The Yamaha 250 Virago v-twin design has a really efficient little motor, a low seat height and combined with taller gearing is a real MPG winner. Adding aero to this bike should improve comfort, MPG and of course storage capacity, and possibly looks if done well.

The plan for the Yamaha Virago 250 (or chinese clone) is narrrow drag bars, a cut down and reshaped seat, a front fairing from a Hyabusa suitably modified, tapering side panels behind the riders legs, a rear cone and a fully enclosed land speed racer front fender fairing. I'd also like to extend the swingarm and middle of the frame about 4 - 6" to relocate the seat back farther and several inches lower. I'm thinking as much of an aerodynamic styling exercise as much as a practical aerodynamic exercise. It works in my mind and with gradeschool quality sketches, hopefully I can translate it into metal and plastic someday.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle

Motorcycle

The Yamaha project sound good, the "two bit" recomendation I do have is start at the rear and the cargo space then work your way to the front of the bike. When you do the longer swing arm be shure to incorperate mounting points for some rear wheel shraouding, I have a suspicion that the spinning rear wheel has a larger affect than most people think.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle

Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
I think the real solution starts with a lower seat height to minimize frontal area. The Yamaha 250 Virago v-twin design has a really efficient little motor, a low seat height and combined with taller gearing is a real MPG winner. Adding aero to this bike should improve comfort, MPG and of course storage capacity, and possibly looks if done well.

The plan for the Yamaha Virago 250 (or chinese clone) is narrrow drag bars, a cut down and reshaped seat, a front fairing from a Hyabusa suitably modified, tapering side panels behind the riders legs, a rear cone and a fully enclosed land speed racer front fender fairing. I'd also like to extend the swingarm and middle of the frame about 4 - 6" to relocate the seat back farther and several inches lower. I'm thinking as much of an aerodynamic styling exercise as much as a practical aerodynamic exercise. It works in my mind and with gradeschool quality sketches, hopefully I can translate it into metal and plastic someday.
I think the key to the viability of an effective aero motorcycle is a low seat height, because of the ergonomics of getting on and off the bike are changed by not being able to swing your leg over the rear seat unless you can come up with some simple/easy way of moving the cargo box for getting on and off. On the GS500 I can get on and off quit well even though I have a 30" inseam, but lower is always better, I do like your plan for the 250V-twin, although I have my doughts about the need for swing arm extension. I am toying with the Idea of a Vulcan 500 as a low seat height aeroproject but I will need more info for that.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This thread hasn't been active for a while now, but I thought I'd add this link to a Sport Rider article (first published in 2001) about a totally modded GS500 racebike.

A bit off-track from Ecomodding, but interesting for anyone that like the GS.

Class dominating Suzuki GS500 - Sportbike Review - Sport Rider

You really need to look closely at the photos to appreciate what all was done. An amazing amount of custom fabrication, top-quality components, and carbon fiber went into building it.

Jay
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
BHarvey (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Had to give a thank you for the link. I raced WERA 4 years on a GS500 in Formula Clubman.
Had massive fun!

That GS is serious!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle

Motorcycle

Ahh yes, I must confess that the three laps I got to do of Laguna Seca at the May 4 Vetter Challenge were just to much fun. Not enough laps to learn the track but still lots of fun. I doubt that spinning the motor up to 10,000 rpm did much for my FE . It was good to hear from the other stream liners and diesles in the Challenge that they all had the same problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #109 (permalink)
wrx4me...

no worries - '91 Subaru legacy L
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)

weevee - '08 suzuki vstrom dl650
90 day: 61.22 mpg (US)

wrx - '09 Subaru wrx sedan
90 day: 29.8 mpg (US)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine - '09 kawasaki ninja 250 se

Connie - '09 kawasaki concours
I dont know if i can contribute anything useful to the motorcycle fuel economy challenge, i have only owned my ninja for a month or so. I am trying to get the gearing where it should be first before doing anything else. My priorities are more about keeping reasonable performance or as a much as about that as fuel efficiency. I think i have gone as far as its reasonable to go given my size and weight. It ismy hope that by moderating acceleration and driving speeds i can get into the 70 mpg range. Time will tell and with much cooler weather here already, my opportunities for breaking my best of 67 mpg so far will be few, at least until next spring.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomason2wheels View Post
It is my hope that by moderating acceleration and driving speeds i can get into the 70 mpg range. Time will tell and with much cooler weather here already, my opportunities for breaking my best of 67 mpg so far will be few, at least until next spring.
My experience is, that too much moderating of acceleration gave me worse FE, early shift with large-ish throttle opening proved better for me - just like classic BSFC figures say. Moderating cruising speed: yes, that definitely helps. So does coasting instead of (even engine) braking. Without coasting it was pretty hard to get under 3l/100km (~78.4mpgUS). With it, it's just natural. Except when it's cold or too windy, or I do long-range 2-up rides without significant amount of Pulse&Glide (will do one this month too).

My winter tanks are always worse, winters can be spotted from far away in my log.

Reply  Post New Thread