View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNissan View Post
It is also 120 octane, only emits carbon dioxide and water when burned.
I just received my certification to perform BC motor vehicle inspections on CNG systems, and you couldn't be further from the truth.

The truth is, CNG engines produce slightly less emissions than an equivalent gas engine when properly tuned. They still produce CO, HC and NOX like any other engine. I spent a few days playing with a 4 gas exhaust analyzer on many vehicles, including two factory made Ford CNG only vehicles, an aftermarket dual fuel CNG system on a 2.5L S-10, a gasoline powered VW 2.0T, and a newer gasoline powered F-150. The cleanest vehicle ended up being the gasoline powered F-150 - cleaner than any of the CNG vehicles we were testing. As a matter of fact, the S-10 ran the cleanest on gasoline, and when switched to CNG, its emissions went through the roof thanks to the crude mixer/carb style metering system.

CNG is good, because its price isn't linked with the price of crude oil and should remain cheap for a long time. But it's not a magical clean fuel that will save the planet. And it is 130 octane, not 120.