View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #276 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Did you happen to note your average speed for the tank? Context is good. Not minimizing your achievement.

My best 104 mpg fill-up in the Firefly was at ~20 mph average, per the SG (which is not a "rolling average" speed - it includes time stopped, up to 5 minutes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
It's my usual ~25 mph average, by the scangauge. That means 30-35 rolling average. Same as I've been doing on this commute for years. I've got 35, 45 and 50 mph speed limits, which are ideal for good mileage. I do a 25-40 P&G cycle most of the time, adjusting a little higher or lower at certain points. (like 5 mph past the neighbors as I approach home. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Thanks for the added info. (I always imagine noobs reading the eye-popping numbers - good to give background on what's needed to achieve them.)
I recently had reason to drive my route at higher speeds. I had to meet a contractor at the house. Driving style this time:
- my usual moderate acceleration, about the same as general traffic
- top speed at the posted limit, p&g down to 5 mph below where the road is clear
- minimum braking, carry no extra speed into stops. This means some long glides, one is a mile long before the stop.

My Scangauge-reported average speed? 30 mph, about 5 mph higher than my normal. I also lost about 10 mpg. I'll gladly trade 2 minutes for that.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles