View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
coolant smells "sweet" like a bakery type smell as it cooks off of the engine or emanates from the
tail pipe

before you complete this transaction have the selling dealer locate and repair the coolant loss .

key word here is BEFORE
I wonder hydro... how are you sure this is a good deal? You write, "I got the car for $2700 which is quite a bit for a first car, but the car is valued at $4000 so I figured its a win win situation as long as I didn't get a lemon." Did the dealer tell you it's worth $4K? You seem very smart and I would bet you have done your own research... but be careful. Why would a dealer be selling a $4000 fuel-economy car for $2700 when gas prices are perched up over $3.50/gallon and likely to go higher? What guarantees are they offering in writing? Anything?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.