View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Ever read of Louie Mattar?

I don't follow on the "value" of stopping only once. Fueling only once, okay. If I don't misunderstand, then I believe it's a mistake to drive in such a manner. The human body isn't meant for it. And attentiveness declines drastically past a certain point, which I have experienced as a commercial driver. There is no way to avoid white line fever.

I hope I simply misread this being a partial objective.

Otherwise, as a stunt, I think it fine to try. I also think an aerolid would be the hook to have others pay attention. Americans love devices, gadgets, gizmos. As the center section could be raised (or removed) for most work, I don't see an objection to "common use of a truck" as disqualifier.

To that end I would offer this as a another gizmo wit some value. Sort of skirts the line. LED Amber Random Pattern Strobe. Mount this to the right of the license plate, with an on/off switch. This is what is used by construction trucks, etc, that may be exiting/entering the highway slowly. Or, are just moving slowly due to overweight, overdimension, etc. Including the chase or pilot trucks. I've been meaning to get one as well.

Your route includes the 85-mph section of IH-10 in Texas. You might also carry a CB (Uniden 68 plus Little Wil antenna) to broadcast: "drivers, a slowmover, eastbound at mile marker 656" when you see commercial traffic overtaking you.

And I sure hope you have no slop in the steering linkage.

Last edited by slowmover; 10-06-2011 at 08:18 PM..