View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #390 (permalink)
round.boater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryan37bb View Post
round.boater, you mind if I ask how you calculate FE? Is it a manual calculation or do you have the Scangauge/Ultragauge? I ask because I'm considering buying a gauge and am having trouble choosing between the two.
For my fuel log, I just write down the miles on the receipt and plug in the entry. Thanks ecomodder! I've been figuring mpg each fill up pretty much since I started driving, now I just have a record viewable by the whole world.
On the road I use a Scanguage. I watch water temp since I've never really all the way trusted the e-fans (although I'm getting there), air temp since it's a close enough proxy for ambient temp unless I'm in traffic, MPG, and something else in the 4th spot. It's been GPH recently. I don't know enough about the Ultraguage to comment between the two. I placed my guage over the old cig lighter and ran the cable through the dash to the port. It's like it was meant to be there (see pic below).

Being able to see my rolling average as well as instantaneous economy has helped my driving habits. Plus it's fun to calculate how many miles past an empty tank I've driven compared with EPA averages. 19mpg x 26 gal = 494 miles, I'm bummed if I fill before 500 miles and I try to leave 4-5 gallons of spare. Based on the calculations I ran when I bought my Aerolid, I think I will have paid it off in fuel savings sometime this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812 - s.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	9530