Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #381 (permalink)
CFECO
 
CFECO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vail, AZ.
Posts: 552

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
Ditto, to you too!

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #382 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 560
Thanks: 1
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
For a flat safety glass, I'd look at the old Jeep C J windshields. They should be plentiful and cheap. Found some for $80 at Jeep Windshields.

Try Pick n Pull junkyards, at fixed prices for a given part, regardless of make and model.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
bondo (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #383 (permalink)
CFECO
 
CFECO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vail, AZ.
Posts: 552

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
bondo, I understand you, and the rest of us, are wishing to get these produced. Without reading all the posts again, have you looked into building them your self, with some help, and just bypassing the Patent ordeal? I have some friends with a fiberglass production company, mainly water and septic tanks using chopper-gun sprayed over molds. With the current business climate around here, some new products could be of interest to them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #384 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 279
Thanks: 90
Thanked 237 Times in 89 Posts
I would love to skip the Patent process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
bondo, I understand you, and the rest of us, are wishing to get these produced. Without reading all the posts again, have you looked into building them your self, with some help, and just bypassing the Patent ordeal? I have some friends with a fiberglass production company, mainly water and septic tanks using chopper-gun sprayed over molds. With the current business climate around here, some new products could be of interest to them.
I cannot bypass the Patent process because there are two applications for a Patent on an aerodynamic truck cap which have been filed right after mine with the USPTO (Patent Office). One is just a few months after the date I filed mine. Luckily I am in the drivers seat right now with the earliest filing date and I must maintain it.

I appreciate you referring me to the company you know of that does fiberglass fabrication. If I was to set up production on my own or with another established company without a Patent in force, then if either of the two people who have filed applications after me are granted a Patent, they would then sue me for Patent infringement.

Best of luck to you CFECO with the X-Car. I wish I had the skill set to develop a vehicle like that.

Bondo

Last edited by bondo; 09-28-2011 at 08:33 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #385 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,302 Posts
bondo, from my experience with a 6 year pursuit of a patent, if you filed your application before the others then yours will be the first issued, assuming it passes the test for "novelty". It's a difficult process to say the least and another threshold to a granted patent is "not obvious to someone educated in the art". Either of those two criteria can really give you headaches in actually having a patent granted.

The applications are processed according to filing date, so if you are the first with an original idea, you could proceed to production using Patent Pending until you actually have a patent number assigned.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #386 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 279
Thanks: 90
Thanked 237 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
bondo, from my experience with a 6 year pursuit of a patent, if you filed your application before the others then yours will be the first issued, assuming it passes the test for "novelty". It's a difficult process to say the least and another threshold to a granted patent is "not obvious to someone educated in the art". Either of those two criteria can really give you headaches in actually having a patent granted.

The applications are processed according to filing date, so if you are the first with an original idea, you could proceed to production using Patent Pending until you actually have a patent number assigned.

regards
Mech
Mech you have my respect for having gone though the process. It is the "obviousness" issue I am dealing with. The last Utility patent I filed was granted in a streamline fashion which took three years. It was granted in 1999.

A lot has changed, for the worse in the USPTO since then. From what I have read on the Internet from others who are trying to get patents, they too are running into many hurdles, mainly negative Office Actions. We can hope the new "Patent Reform" bill signed into law two weeks ago will be adventagoeus to us all.

Bondo
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #387 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Big Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steppes of Central Indiana
Posts: 1,313

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
...and people in the US wonder where the manufacturing went.
__________________
2000 Ford F-350 SC 4x2 6 Speed Manual
4" Slam
3.08:1 gears and Gear Vendor Overdrive
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #388 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 45
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Hey round.boater,
Your lifetime average of your truck is 22.21, even counting the time before you got your Aerolid. The math comes out to a 16.9, call it 17% increase in fuel efficiency the Aerolid has afforded you.

Bondo
Don't forget it's a complete log - I'm not cherry picking my fill ups. Some of those tanks have a utility trailer full of rafting gear. (Although not enough of them for how much I wish I were out playing...) Calculating the tanks without a trailer would make my Aerolid average look even better.
I didn't start logging while I still had my mechanical fan, so the first few tanks listed are up a bit from stock thanks to the e-fans and tightening the nut behind the wheel just a tad.

As always, good luck with the process!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #389 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by round.boater View Post
Don't forget it's a complete log - I'm not cherry picking my fill ups. Some of those tanks have a utility trailer full of rafting gear. (Although not enough of them for how much I wish I were out playing...) Calculating the tanks without a trailer would make my Aerolid average look even better.
I didn't start logging while I still had my mechanical fan, so the first few tanks listed are up a bit from stock thanks to the e-fans and tightening the nut behind the wheel just a tad.

As always, good luck with the process!
round.boater, you mind if I ask how you calculate FE? Is it a manual calculation or do you have the Scangauge/Ultragauge? I ask because I'm considering buying a gauge and am having trouble choosing between the two.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #390 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 45
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pryan37bb View Post
round.boater, you mind if I ask how you calculate FE? Is it a manual calculation or do you have the Scangauge/Ultragauge? I ask because I'm considering buying a gauge and am having trouble choosing between the two.
For my fuel log, I just write down the miles on the receipt and plug in the entry. Thanks ecomodder! I've been figuring mpg each fill up pretty much since I started driving, now I just have a record viewable by the whole world.
On the road I use a Scanguage. I watch water temp since I've never really all the way trusted the e-fans (although I'm getting there), air temp since it's a close enough proxy for ambient temp unless I'm in traffic, MPG, and something else in the 4th spot. It's been GPH recently. I don't know enough about the Ultraguage to comment between the two. I placed my guage over the old cig lighter and ran the cable through the dash to the port. It's like it was meant to be there (see pic below).

Being able to see my rolling average as well as instantaneous economy has helped my driving habits. Plus it's fun to calculate how many miles past an empty tank I've driven compared with EPA averages. 19mpg x 26 gal = 494 miles, I'm bummed if I fill before 500 miles and I try to leave 4-5 gallons of spare. Based on the calculations I ran when I bought my Aerolid, I think I will have paid it off in fuel savings sometime this winter.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812 - s.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	9530  
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Aero Fix? (Modding a pickup?) DifferentPointofView Aerodynamics 53 04-13-2012 06:46 PM
SAE report: Pickup Truck tailgate aerodynamics... better up, down, or off? MetroMPG Aerodynamics 5 11-17-2011 03:35 PM
Sources of Aerodynamic Drag in Automobiles and Possible Solutions SVOboy Aerodynamics 12 02-17-2010 03:09 PM
How much do y'all pay for trash pickup? roflwaffle Saving@Home 15 08-23-2009 11:46 AM
Daihatsu Mira aerodynamic modifications newtonsfirstlaw Aerodynamics 5 06-13-2009 10:43 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com