View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #141 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Two things that I would change a bit; that both related to the side profile that you sketched: the grill to hood transition needs to get a radius. (It looks like you dropped the stagnant point which is a good thing, I think; so it won't look like the sketch, but it would negate the sharp-ish corners on the top outsides of the grill.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
The hard edges will need to be filleted and whatnot. This is just blocking in the basic form.
This will have a large radius fillet. I am also planning on tapering the front end in plan view. It's like a block right now.

Yes, the stagnation point is lower

Quote:
The windshield needs a bit of a "vertical" curve to blend it with the roof. This would bring it closer to the sketch, I think. You have a lot of "horizontal" curve in it now, which is fine, though this shrinks the interior volume, and could allow for the front fenders to sweep in at the front a bit more?
I have to admit the sketch was "cheated" and unrealistic.

Due to the nature of glass (and the extreme plan view curvature) I believe it is impractical to put a compound curve on the windshield. It is done on side windows because the curves are very subtle. Well, that's what my all car design professors tell me. I will be moving the A Pillars forward and the leading edge of the roof will get a radius. Still looking for alternative solutions or suggestions to get the air to behave nicely over that area.

I don't know what "Cp" is but it appears the airflow over at roof is quite low pressure, leading me to believe it's not too big of an issue. Thoughts?

Would there be an advantage to moving the windshield form forward more and making it a "one box" design like a dustbuster van?

Quote:
If you leave the wheel track where it is, then you will have to integrate strakes and/or fairing and/or skirts into the model. I would narrow the rear track more than you have already; to let the fender curve you already have cover the rear wheels. And maybe the curve of the sides that are shown in the top/plan view be a little larger radius and to start the taper a little closer to the front.
I will be making strakes on the wheels. You make a good point though- the bodyside could be wider until after the wheels. I'll work on that.

I read somewhere on this site that air hits the rear wheels at like a 15* angle. Should the strakes be angled like that? Also, should the underbody have any sort of aero aids (a la splitter) if it's smooth anyway?

Thanks for the input It's always good to hear comments/criticisms because designers sometimes forget things lol.

PS- Does anyone have that airflow visualization thing with the blue and pink "air"? I'd love to throw a tuned up version of this into it.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-11-2011 at 06:38 PM..