View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #86 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Well, I still have the car! I actually pulled the engine out of the baja a few days ago. Looks like it's going to stay. I've been kicking around some ideas for this concept still. A friend actually told me about how some aircraft enthusiasts chop the 4 cylinder vw engines in half, so they're 2 cylinders, and run them in their ultralight prop planes. Why not chop one or just remove the guts from half of it, and run it in an ultralight Aerobug? That or I've heard about people swapping motorcycle engines into bugs, so something like that with the option of FI might be cool to try. I tried driving my '69 around on two cylinders. It was.. gutless. It could pick up on a flat stretch, but man. I live up 500 feet. It bogs down in FIRST. Granted that's with a stock body, two dead cylinders dragging, and about 300 pounds of cargo/crap. Not to mention 3/4 tank of gas. But again, it did just fine on the flat stretch.

I'm honestly thinking about just going with the most extreme option. Ripping off the body, chopping the sides of the floorpans in half, shrinking the width of the car, making it an inline two seater, and then making an all out custom fiberglass body. The front would remind me of a prowler, with the hubcaps or wheels from the cars in I, Robot. Just a little smoother if memory recalls.

Basically turn the cabin into an airplane cockpit. That narrow, a single longer gullwing door, analog gauges (User preference for me), a simple stereo (Aux in and a single volume knob/power switch), Maybe make it a small (10w PEAK) tube amp? Solar roof, 1 or 5w LED cabin light, all LED brake/turn signals, and modern H4 bulbs.

I have a longer list, but it's in my car. Anyhow. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Death Threats?

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)