View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
tinduck
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Not all Germans are speeding idiots :-)

Hi there,

I made three or four postings to this (incredible!) forum, so it is about time to indroduce myself properly.

I found this place while looking for scangauge tweaks via google. The search did not yield the desired results, but found me a quite resourceful place for my wee little obsession of driving around with less fuel usage.

Since I have a family with a wife and 2 (and a half, app.) kids, I need means of transportation for all of them plus luggage plus extra luggage plus toys plus... you get the picture. In June, we decided that we had to get rid of my Passat, and since I always fancied a VW bus, we began reading mobile.de (online vehicle marketplace in Germany) and found ourselves a real nice VW T5 Multivan SL with a 2,0L TDI engine (this car is not sold in the US, I think. A pity..).

Apart from the engine, which is an economical blessing, this is not the right place to start a fuel economy career... EPA is around 27 mpg or 7,5L / 100 km.

So much the bigger was my surprise that I was able to drive this bucket at under 6 L/100 km from the beginning... well, my commute route favours efficient driving.

I do not intend to do radical aero mods (we still have warranty on that van) but a bit of tinkering around may be permissible, like WAI or...

These things said, I am looking forward to many nice projects and chats about those.

so long,

tinduck