View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinduck View Post
Hi there,

I made three or four postings to this (incredible!) forum, so it is about time to indroduce myself properly.

I found this place while looking for scangauge tweaks via google. The search did not yield the desired results, but found me a quite resourceful place for my wee little obsession of driving around with less fuel usage.

Since I have a family with a wife and 2 (and a half, app.) kids, I need means of transportation for all of them plus luggage plus extra luggage plus toys plus... you get the picture. In June, we decided that we had to get rid of my Passat, and since I always fancied a VW bus, we began reading mobile.de (online vehicle marketplace in Germany) and found ourselves a real nice VW T5 Multivan SL with a 2,0L TDI engine (this car is not sold in the US, I think. A pity..).

Apart from the engine, which is an economical blessing, this is not the right place to start a fuel economy career... EPA is around 27 mpg or 7,5L / 100 km.

So much the bigger was my surprise that I was able to drive this bucket at under 6 L/100 km from the beginning... well, my commute route favours efficient driving.

I do not intend to do radical aero mods (we still have warranty on that van) but a bit of tinkering around may be permissible, like WAI or...

These things said, I am looking forward to many nice projects and chats about those.

so long,

tinduck
Welcome!

Nice choice on the T5 van, and the 2.0tdi is a good engine to start with..

As for WAI, diesels apparently oprefer to have warm engines and COLD air intakes, so they can get enough air to burn the fuel completely (cold air is more dense)

As for your engine, I'm sure there must be some "chipping" companies that can increase performace, and boost MPG a bit too.

Enjoy the site

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------