View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
When you consider that with virtually the same powertrain, that a VW Bus gets only 1-mpg worse than a Beetle,but a Karmann Ghia gets 13-mpg better,you begin to appreciate frontal area and Cd.
You'll notice how VW has chopped the roof down on the New,New Beetle.They're going down the same road as Ghia did in 1955.

Heh. If I had a Ghia, I would be restoring it, not chopping it. I have a huge soft spot for those cars, so I couldn't bring myself to do anything major to one. A pre-chopped VW Baja I picked up for $50 bucks however, I have no problem chopping into little bits, and if all else fails, selling it for scrap. That's most of the reason I'm doing this to a bug. That and I'm looking at maybe not even using any of the body anymore. Hard to say at this point. I don't have cash for anything yet, but I had enough to buy some sketchbooks, so that'll be my starting point for now.

While you're actually reading this, would a flat bottomed teardrop shape be best, or would one that could arch up inbetween where the wheels are (but would still be smooth) be better? I'm just thinking lowered cars generally scrape on speedbumps, and maybe one with an arch wouldn't scrape at least as badly. I wouldn't really want my fancy-pants car to have to limp over them sideways like a lot of other cheap poorly lowered Hondas.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)