View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Twerp
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
In 2001, when I was finishing up college, I had to take one final course to graduate. The only way I could take it during summer term was by commuting to another college. I believe it was an hour and fifteen each way, four or five days per week. I didn't have a job and I had very little in the bank. The gas was definitely worth more than my time. I had a 95 Jetta GLS which typically got around 25 to 28mpg for me. I had to take an extra 15 to 20 minutes each day and drive with the AC off, and the windows and sunroof barely cracked to maximize my gas money. If I just pretended that I was relaxing in a moving sauna, it wasn't that bad (the sweat would dry eventually and my deoderant was effective ). The thing I realized was that if I had 15 extra minutes each day, it would be nice to spend them sitting and relaxing in a sauna. So yeah, that was how my extra 15 minutes of driving time turned into vacation time, and I didn't even have a job.

Oh yeah, and after calculating 4 times to confirm it, I felt pretty bad-ass for getting 38mpg on one tank.