View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
I’d be very interest in your comments and where you think one of us may have gone wrong, if not both of us.
I think it's quite possible we're both right. Read on...

I don't think the data or testing was faulty. I'm satisfied that the variability of the runs wasn't horrible. ( I posted the STDEV in the data near the start of the thread. )

But I do think my results were amplified, accidentally, by the chosen load (road speed):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It was such a big change because the mods permitted the car to operate in lean burn 100% of the time at 80 km/h, where without them it felt like it was just on the edge, moving in & out of lean burn at the slightest change in throttle position to maintain that speed.

In other words, the % change might have been less impressive if I'd tested at 70 km/h or at 115 km/h (either fully in, or fully out of lean burn for both A and B runs).

I didn't plan it that way, but it was interesting to discover. I tested at that speed because it's the highest posted limit on the secondary roads I usually travel.
This is also key: remember, I tested with the hybrid system (IMA) intentionally shut off (worn out battery), so my car is going to give significantly different results near the "edge" of lean burn than yours will. Yours may hold lean burn longer, and as you point out, throttle movements will have different results for you if they call IMA into play.

For consistency, I don't think I'd attempt testing with IMA enabled, even if mine worked.

Hope that sheds some light.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget