View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
tinduck
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Nice numbers or less consumption?

Hi there,

you all know the problem: you have serveral available routes to go to work (or somewhere else). Which one to take if one gives you better mileage but is slightly longer, so you may or may not be expending more fuel for getting this better mileage.

To clarify my case, a little sketch (autobahn map of the Ruhr area):

Home is lower right, work is lower left. These are all 'autobahn', so no traffic lights or stopping, except for congestion.

My usual route in the morning is B54, A40, period. Shortest distance (about 60 km) and OK to drive at 05:30AM.

The problems begin in the afternoon when returning from work. A40 is jammed shut, A42 is usually usable, A2 is always usable. But A3 is mostly hairy...

What I do is, I use my tomtom (navi system) to see if there is congestion somewhere, then navigate around this regardless of additional distance.

If I go via A3, A2, A45, A40, B45, its an additional 12 km which is 20% more distance, but I retain my good mileage (or kilometrage ;-)) and save time. Good for the statistics, but probably bad at the pump (seen as cost per weekly commutes).

What do you do?

so long,

tinduck

Last edited by tinduck; 10-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: clarification of road type