Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: How do you decide which route to drive (see clarification below)?
I use the one which gives me better mileage 5 31.25%
I always drive the shortest distance 2 12.50%
I calculate how much fuel I will expend and take the less costly route, even if it kills my mileage 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Nice numbers or less consumption?

Hi there,

you all know the problem: you have serveral available routes to go to work (or somewhere else). Which one to take if one gives you better mileage but is slightly longer, so you may or may not be expending more fuel for getting this better mileage.

To clarify my case, a little sketch (autobahn map of the Ruhr area):

Home is lower right, work is lower left. These are all 'autobahn', so no traffic lights or stopping, except for congestion.

My usual route in the morning is B54, A40, period. Shortest distance (about 60 km) and OK to drive at 05:30AM.

The problems begin in the afternoon when returning from work. A40 is jammed shut, A42 is usually usable, A2 is always usable. But A3 is mostly hairy...

What I do is, I use my tomtom (navi system) to see if there is congestion somewhere, then navigate around this regardless of additional distance.

If I go via A3, A2, A45, A40, B45, its an additional 12 km which is 20% more distance, but I retain my good mileage (or kilometrage ;-)) and save time. Good for the statistics, but probably bad at the pump (seen as cost per weekly commutes).

What do you do?

so long,

tinduck

Last edited by tinduck; 10-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: clarification of road type
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
It depends.
I have 3 choices of commuting routes. The longest route to work (20.1miles), which has 15 miles of freeway driving (6 miles @ 75 MPH up hill and generally into the wind and 9 miles @ 65 ) nets the worst MPG and (duh) consumes the most fuel. The two shorter routes - one with 9 freeway miles @ 65 MPH (18.5 miles), and one with NO freeway miles (16.5 miles - driving through town) net about the same MPG. I take the shorter route to save fuel.
Driving home from work, I generally take the 18.5 mile (9 miles @ 65 MPH) route to avoid in-town traffic at 4:00 PM. If I "take the long way home", I keep my speed @ 65 MPH in the 75 MPH zone. It nets about the same MPG as the medium commute, burning about 4.6 more ounces of fuel. That's a small price to pay for not having to deal with 200 aggressive @$$holes on the shorter routes.
And when I quit taking the long (and fast) route, I began to regularly exceed 30 MPG with my 4.0 liter Ford Mustang commuting to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 10-22-2011 at 10:16 PM..
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I'm lucky that this is not an issue for me. My most fuel efficient route also happens to be the shortest physically. I hit the same traffic regardless of route as well. I guess it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Being a Realtor, I work from home most of the time and only go to appointments when I schedule them... So, when commuting I generally take the route that gives me less of a headache. Typically that's the quickest, shortest route that gives me the best mpgs. When driving during the dreaded beginning of workday or end of workday I take the back way which is longer and less congested but has more stoplights. Generally I take more stoplights over slowed traffic/traffic jams. They are timed fairly well and I don't usually catch but a few of the many.

I try to avoid driving during the congested times at all costs but sometimes it happens. I like to stop and grab a bite to eat while everyone hits the daily traffic or I stop and go tour a house, talk to a client, go fishing, play a round of Disc golf... you get the idea. it helps that I don't have kids to come home to and my GF is very good to me.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 10-25-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Last summer I was driving 10,000 miles a month. My 90 day average was more than 50% over EPA.

Now, I'm driving around 400 miles a month. And 'only' at 15~20% over EPA.

I'm still way ahead. The numbers on the ecomodder sticker don't mean anything, it's how many gallons of gas you're consuming that counts.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have two routes. One through town that is about 12.5 miles, the other by interstate that is about 15. In the morning, at 5:30, I take the shorter, but longer timewise route, unless I am running late. I am certain that my mpg is better on the through town route, as there are few lights/stop signs and i am the only one on the road, putting along at a very fuel efficient 30-40 mph. If I am on the highway, I am running a bit late and likely around the 65 mph limit, or a bit more. I am certain my ranger brick's mpg is considerably worse during this mode.

When I get up really early an dam not being too lazy, I ride my bike and get really, really, really good mileage.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.

All my routes have the same distance but some have genuinely stopped traffic instead of crawling. When stopped I can shut off the engine, when crawling its harder.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
All my routes have the same distance but some have genuinely stopped traffic instead of crawling. When stopped I can shut off the engine, when crawling its harder.
I have an idea for a kit which would help those in your position. It is a very low powered hybrid idea for light vehicles such as yours.

It would consist of two hub mounted motors, maybe 5 hp each and a small Nicad or Li pack/controller. This could be used on your rear wheels for inching along in rush hour traffic. Could also use regen to help recharge during normal driving.

I would think that such motors incorporated into the rear wheel would not weigh too much more than a regular steel wheel. And 10 horse should be more than enough to push such a light car around. It also gives AWD capability during inclement weather.

I'm sure someone, somewhere has come up with something along these lines. Seems like it would drastically increase the Aygo's city numbers.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I have an idea for a kit which would help those in your position. It is a very low powered hybrid idea for light vehicles such as yours.

It would consist of two hub mounted motors, maybe 5 hp each and a small Nicad or Li pack/controller. This could be used on your rear wheels for inching along in rush hour traffic. Could also use regen to help recharge during normal driving.

I would think that such motors incorporated into the rear wheel would not weigh too much more than a regular steel wheel. And 10 horse should be more than enough to push such a light car around. It also gives AWD capability during inclement weather.

I'm sure someone, somewhere has come up with something along these lines. Seems like it would drastically increase the Aygo's city numbers.
pete - I would love to know more. The Aygo has very little issue with city driving and getting good MPG (I can get over 110 MPG on city trips), highways are the problem - anything over 60 really. If your kit can help there then that would be useful.