View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Unfortunately...I'll be returning the Volo chip. Did not see an mpg gain. I would have been happy with a 3 to 5% gain...but no go.

To be fair they mention issues with Ford ECUs....and the ISO "protocol" is not one they recommend...both of which were involved in this test. Also 2 changes previous to testing the chip...front belly pan and upper grill block with increased intake temps.

from my notes:

Installed Volo chip and reset it warm at idle....seems to be working OK. ....ready for the 120 mile break in.

Had issues with the connectors and getting the right wires figured out due to the port being upside down and the wires coming out the back...etc.

Seems to give more power under acceleration when using warm air intake now at 45-50F above ambient vs the ECU settings. On this last trip I saw the best trip mileage on local backroads with lots of stops and curves that I've seen yet.

After installing chip on 10/3/11...I drove the car around 110 miles until refilling it on 10/7/11. Over the next 422 miles I got an avg of 34 mpg...where the previous 3 tank avg was 34.8 mpg....a loss of 0.8 mpg. Avg temp over this 2 week period ranged from 65F to 55F....similar to the temps during the previous 3 tanks. Driving technique was about the same as with the previous 3 tanks using the Scangauge. One difference might be the change over to winter gas around the start of Oct (?) and higher intake temps due to the upper grill block.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL