View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I think its kind of a maturity or age thing maybe.

We have a lot of young guys working at our place, and lot of them are getting a serious salary for the first time in their lives. The non "petrol heads" use it to buy or rent a place and get started on their "path", whilst others of course go out and blow it on a performance car - even though petrol is £5.50 gallon (imp) and they struggle to see more than 30 MPG.

On top of this the insurance is 4 figures ("helpfully" spaced out by the insurance companies over 12 months plus interest ) and because they have bought them cheap they break. One guy recently bought an Audi for £7k and has spent about £5.5K fixing it before he ever got to drive it anywhere. Mind you he is an idiot and "fixed" the wrong thing - replaced the cams when it was the DMF For that money he could have got a nearly new one with a warranty.

It won't come as a surprise to learn a lot of them have debt - already.

They make fun and call George a "washing machine" but so what ? I bought him with cash, part of that was what I saved on fuel with my Fabia - at least £1.5K of it over 2.5 years. If he breaks he's got a warranty. If he didn't have a warranty he's cheap to fix (clutch is £150 vs £1K+ for a TDI) - maybe even DIY-able. His fuel economy pays for other stuff like taking Mrs A to Paris, and the savings on Insurance will subsidise my central heating bill if/when the snow comes.

So in the Spring when they moan about how in debt they are again with winter heating bills, and car payments / repairs and still live with their parents - I'm still saving to pay for something nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
I'm sure they are still getting better mileage than I am, but I wonder what motivation these people actually had when buying those cars.
You kind of answered your own question there. The point is valid though, if they drove better they would save more. Having just done a "fast" rush home last evening (without the emergency braking though) the Prius still did well. Maybe not TDI well, but well enough.