Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
I drive at the highest sustainable speed I can without having to slow down.

I even showed this to a guy I know while we were both going to the same place in different vehicles and he couldn't believe I was right behind him pulling into our destination.
But it did no good. Even after seeing it himself he lapsed back into a coma and has been there ever since.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
What bothers me are those people who buy "environmentally friendly" cars, such as the Prius, but drive them in an environmentally unfriendly ways. My best example of this is my long drive to visit my parents (~500 of freeway). Even though I'm not getting great mileage (~28 mpg freeway), I'm doing the best I can by setting cruise control at the posted speed and only stopping when absolutely necessary. In contrast, I see people in their Priuses and other econoboxes passing me doing at least 85-90 mph, slamming on the brakes when trucks merge to the passing lane, making frequent stops, etc. I'm sure they are still getting better mileage than I am, but I wonder what motivation these people actually had when buying those cars.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
... I wonder what motivation these people actually had when buying those cars.
I think it's two-fold:
- Being seen as "green"
- Saving (gas) money without using their brain

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
Pawtuckett (11-30-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
The PRC.

I think its kind of a maturity or age thing maybe.

We have a lot of young guys working at our place, and lot of them are getting a serious salary for the first time in their lives. The non "petrol heads" use it to buy or rent a place and get started on their "path", whilst others of course go out and blow it on a performance car - even though petrol is £5.50 gallon (imp) and they struggle to see more than 30 MPG.

On top of this the insurance is 4 figures ("helpfully" spaced out by the insurance companies over 12 months plus interest ) and because they have bought them cheap they break. One guy recently bought an Audi for £7k and has spent about £5.5K fixing it before he ever got to drive it anywhere. Mind you he is an idiot and "fixed" the wrong thing - replaced the cams when it was the DMF For that money he could have got a nearly new one with a warranty.

It won't come as a surprise to learn a lot of them have debt - already.

They make fun and call George a "washing machine" but so what ? I bought him with cash, part of that was what I saved on fuel with my Fabia - at least £1.5K of it over 2.5 years. If he breaks he's got a warranty. If he didn't have a warranty he's cheap to fix (clutch is £150 vs £1K+ for a TDI) - maybe even DIY-able. His fuel economy pays for other stuff like taking Mrs A to Paris, and the savings on Insurance will subsidise my central heating bill if/when the snow comes.

So in the Spring when they moan about how in debt they are again with winter heating bills, and car payments / repairs and still live with their parents - I'm still saving to pay for something nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
I'm sure they are still getting better mileage than I am, but I wonder what motivation these people actually had when buying those cars.
You kind of answered your own question there. The point is valid though, if they drove better they would save more. Having just done a "fast" rush home last evening (without the emergency braking though) the Prius still did well. Maybe not TDI well, but well enough.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #55 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
I'm freaking sick of this ish
So... has anything changed since you first vented, last month?

I occasionally get made fun of for my car/mods/driving style. It happens: good friends poke fun; strangers have pointed and laughed at the Firefly's mods; relatives look at my choice in car(s) and tease ... "where's the rest of it?"; etc., etc., etc.

But the older I get, I find I care less and less about that ish. (Thick skin = Thick skin + birthdays?)

I also prefer the "non-proselytizing" approach, so I therefore don't find myself getting mad because people would rather continue complaining than hear me out.

My friends/family/acquaintances know that I know something about this stuff, and once in a while someone will ask for advice. (EG: a pickup driving friend recently asked me about mods and how much money they would save on his daily round trip 200 km/ 120 mi commute to his temporary job site.) Then I talk.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The local Honda dealer made the mistake of offering me a $10 gift card with a possibility of winning a new Accord if I came the the dealership. Rode there on my 2011 CBR 250R (bike). Tried the key (yeah right) and no go, so I asked for my gift card. I also asked them if they had any cars that got 60 MPG like my 94 VX or 68 like my 02 Insight. Didn't even bother about the 80+ on the bike. Told them Honda lost it when the old man died in 1991, really got them wound up talking down Honda in the showroom.
Sales manager said he was not going to give me the gift card, so I asked him where in the rules of the gift offering he found his justification for such a statement. He responds I need to have a vehicle appraised or take a test drive. I just rode 10 miles to the dealership. Told him there was the "vehicle" I rode to their dealership so he could do an appraisal on the CBR, or I could drive a car around that I had no intention of buying, his choice, or we could see what the local news thought about his "gift" offer.

He gave me the gift card, no appraisal or test drive, total time about 8 minutes, for a free tank of gas in the CBR. Maybe they will stop sending me the crap in the first place.

Also told him if I won the car I would take it to CarMax 300 yards down the road and sell it immediately, or take cash instead of the car. He was blathering on about 34 highway. Geez, I can get close to that in my 140k 99 Maxima.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Pawtuckett (11-30-2011), slowmover (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Dealerships are just about the last place on Earth to seek quality automotive information at. You are surprised at this?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
For some people, it's not worth trying to change their minds, just let them do their thing and hopefuly they will learn in time but chances are most people will not. Just like someone said here, in the late 70's people changed their cars and driving habits but in a few years they went back to their old ways. I know most people here started selling their pick up trucks when the gas prices went up in 2008 and not even a year later they were back on the road when the gas prices didn't even go down.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I also prefer the "non-proselytizing" approach, so I therefore don't find myself getting mad because people would rather continue complaining than hear me out.

My friends/family/acquaintances know that I know something about this stuff, and once in a while someone will ask for advice. (EG: a pickup driving friend recently asked me about mods and how much money they would save on his daily round trip 200 km/ 120 mi commute to his temporary job site.) Then I talk.
That's the best approach, in my opinion. Trying to convince people never works; leading by example, on the other hand...
Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Dealerships are just about the last place on Earth to seek quality automotive information at. You are surprised at this?
I did it another time with the 02 Insight, got 82 MPG going to the Chevy dealership for 5 bucks. Asked them it they had anything that got the same 82MPG I got going there. They rambled on about the upcoming Volt equalling that mileage and gave me $5, which at that time was good for 140 miles in the Insight.

I'll take their money if they are dumb enough to offer it. I was driving by their place anyway .

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread