View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
The test drive itself was not a great distance. It was all in the city, in a nice area near Lake Michigan where the museum, aquarium, ball-park, etc are all right next to each other.

Because of that, it was all pretty low-speed roads. There wasn't any freeway travel at all. But it wasn't just in a parking lot either. (I test drove a Ford Transit Connect Electric a while back, and that WAS just in a single parking lot!)

I think the actual test drive time was about 10-15 minutes. When I showed up at the event, I had to wait a while before entering, because they would only take groups at a time, and had to wait for the previous group to finish. I waited about 20 minutes at the door.

I think it did give a good sense of the car. It would have been nice to go on the freeway, but even without that, I got a good sense of the interior, headroom, steering, HVAC system (it was hot that day - electric AC rocks!) acceleration, braking, turning radius, etc.

Overall, I thought it was a very nice car. I really don't have the financial means of purchasing ANY new car, let alone one in the price range of the current offerings of electric cars. But, if I was in the market for a new car, I would definately consider it.

I personally know two people who are on the waiting list for a Leaf. As far as I know, neither person has even SEEN a Leaf, let alone driven one! I reported back to them my thoughts on the car.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (10-24-2011)