View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brad4321
EcoModding Lurker

I just lowered my ranger 4/4 for FE increase and can comment a bit.

Research will need to be done for your particular model, but you can lower without loosing capacity or ride quality with a proper kit. My 4/5 suspension drop keeps the same load capacity and ride quality as stock. It also aligns to factory specs. Driving the truck, you would not know it had been lowered, outside of the fuel gauge moving a bit slower.

I do not yet have enough mpg data after lowering to say my gains for sure, but I have seen 4mpg average so far.

Cost/benefit is not very good on lowering by itself. My kit ran 800 with shocks. If you are wanting some simple mods to do, this shouldn't be on your list. If you are wanting to go all out (such as I am), it will show decent gains, especially when compounded with additional mods.

Resale value or anything of that nature is not a concern when done properly. If you heat the springs with a torch or otherwise, it will be a bad experience. A proper lowering will not hurt resale one bit, and actually improve it. It does depend a lot on a vehicle. A lowered ranger or 1/2 ton and the like have good resale when lowered. A dually, for example, would likely not.