View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Interesting that they present the case as if he is "trapped" in his situation and "has" to pay that much in order to commute.

How about providing some solutions for his problem such as:

1. Get parttime jobs that are closer to home.
2. Dump the pickup and get a car or motorcycle that gets far better fuel mileage.
3. If the pickup is necessary for his line of work, dump the current pickup for an older and/or smaller pickup that costs far less in payments and to insure and gets better fuel mileage.
4. Move to where the jobs are.
I agree about providing solutions but I think to really solve these problems we need more systemic solutions. Each of your recommendations has pitfalls. 1) the unemployment rate is up over 12% in some parts of the USA and part-time jobs never have benefits and might require as much or more driving depending on distances between them. 2) Is answered by three. 3) I totally agree but it's not hard to imagine this guy's seven-day per week job plus family life making that switch significantly more difficult to actually accomplish in his favor, with a reliable second-hand vehicle. 4) And if his house is underwater? If the jobs are in an area with poorer schools? If moving would take him far from elders to whom he's beholden, or would have to commute back to look-in upon?

There's a lot left unanswered by the video, stuff that matters. There is a need for the kind of systematic thinking and planning that our politics seems incapable of now.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.