View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I made some phone calls (keep in mind that I can only speak for North Carolina didn’t check all the states) checking on dos and don’ts and laws. For CNG cars you do not need to be a certified installer and here comes the but, it must be inspected to be sure the tank, lines, filler and safety valve are installed to meet DOT law before you can fuel up at any of the stations inspection cost $18 and can be done on site.
Interesting, I wonder how hard it is to pass.
Quote:
As for LPG cars the only thing that must be done is an up to date certified tank must be used. You have two choices when going with LP buy a fork truck tank and tank straps or buy a tank for an RV and bolt it down. I live in Wilmington NC nearest CNG fueling station over 100 miles away

As for home fueling $1,800 to have it installed “no they want let me do it myself” $46 a month charge plus gas so that’s not happening. When I called around to some of the gas places I was told no way am I fueling a car so that kills it for now. Now for LPG its every where called five places all said they would be happy to fuel me up anytime and there is even three 24hour LP stations around town.
$1800+ you need to be constantly rebuilding the darn thing. Personally I have been tempted to import and Adsorbed NG tank.

Quote:
Now my next question is do I have to change anything inside of the motor? Some are saying the exhaust valves and seats must be hardened and others say nothing has to be done so which is it??? As for timing and mixture settings that’s to be expected.
Honestly most LP conversions have little if anything done to the motor, now if you want to up the compression to 22:1 thats different,

if you run a slightly older diesel you don't even need ECU mods or tuning.
Just fraction a bit into the intake and voila