View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Fish, Pogue, Gerrard, and Schwartz super mileage carburetors

I have been interested in these non-mainstream carburetors for several years now, to the point I am doing some research for a story.

Starting with the Pogue 'Winnipeg', the supposed "200mpg Carburetor" <eyes rolling>, the history and folklore is an incredible story that reads more like an espionage novel of dastardly Oil men and Auto exects conspiring to keep the invention out of the hands of us common folk. You can still special order a Fish today, albeit a big-bore for 366cubic inch engine and costing $850usd. There are plenty still around on shelves, and modern reports 15% to 20% better FE seem like a more believable return from a carb with no accelerator pump, if driven judiciously.

I am very interested in hearing some first-hand experience tuning and driving, fuel mileage stories, from anyone with experience with any of these super-mileage carbs.

I imagine the most common is the Fish, at one time sold in the US, then licensed and manufactured in the UK under the name Reece Fish.

Reece manufactured a Fish model back in the 1960's specifically for the 40hp VW. I own a 1962 Beetle, just rebuilt it's engine, and would love to get my hands on a Reece Minnow Fish to experiment with.

Anyone have a lead on a Reece Fish for a VW?

Anyone have any stories?