View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
So, I spent most of the evening trying to diagnose the low fan speed issue for the A/C

I cracked-open the furnace blower cover and found the schematics. According to the wiring, the relays should allow full speed in A/C. It wasn't working. The wiring made no sense either -- color-coded motor wires weren't translating into expected speed output. The circuit board was thought to the be culprit.

Thanks to HVAC-Talk.com, the techs there helped trace it back to the thermostat. There was a dual-speed dip-switch that needed flipped. In the meantime, I ran all current through the "heat" side of the relay since the board was likely slowing it down unnecessarily. It was an intimidating looking SPDT switch relay, but had the strongest output at the heat connector.

Now, I'm pleased to report actual flow of cool air in the upper floor, corner of the house.

Why this whole essay?

The higher speed pulled a LOT of humidity out of the house and cooled it down in a reasonable amount of time.

Bottom Line: The Cool-N-Save. Determining savings will be tough without an unmodified baseline. If it's more (using last years climate data), then we know that either 1) the blower is using more juice, or 2) the CNS is BS.

Stay Cool

RH77

EDIT: Safety First -- I disconnected the power at the breaker box first. Just if someone goes fooling with wires.

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 05-18-2008 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Safety First