View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Peter7307
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post

I am very interested in hearing some first-hand experience tuning and driving, fuel mileage stories, from anyone with experience with any of these super-mileage carbs.
Many years ago I had an original Mini (before BMW bought them) fitted with a FISH carb in place of the standard SU.

According to the seller this was the ultimate in racing gear and know to a "select few" as "the winning edge" !

Great stuff but a real shame it didn't do as promised!

Easy to set up and virtually no parts inside either. Kind of like a lawnmower carb in a lot of ways. Basic and simple.

Fuel economy was about the same as the SU's , power was lower and torque was lower (I had the car dyno tested since at the time I was part owner in an operation which had access to one) and that was about it.

One flaw was it was either set up for a limited speed range (flow) so any other speed range it didn't perform as well as the original SU.

A "miracle" it was not and "super efficient" was something to dream about.

Eventually I sold it to someone who saw it on the bench and wanted to buy it despite my warnings.

Got what I paid for it so I was happy and I reverted to the standard SU.

As an aside David Vizard gives them a review in some of his books if that is a help.

Peter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter7307 For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (11-04-2011)