View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red_Liner740
EcoModding Lurker

Max - '01 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary Ed.
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)
Please recommend my next vehicle.

Damn, cant edit titles. I meant to write "recommend!"

So my current car is an 01 Maxima, and i've come close to getting 30mpgs on a regular basis. Its hard, 3L 227hp and still being geared short in 5th gear plus very large profile of the car.

anyways, the car is rotting away. I only had it for last 2.5 years so the damage was done way before i got ahold of it. Aside from the regular superficial rust on the quarter panels, hood, A pillars, roof by the windshield , i lately discovered it has a rotting front subframe (fwd motor mount and radiator are attached to it) and this was the deal breaker. the car has 240,000km and the engine/interior are in great shape but the rust is just too far gone.

So i'm shopping for a newer car, and i would LOVE your guys recommendations.

checking EPA results can only give so much since we all know some cars can beat the EPA mpgs by a long shot while others are much harder to work with.

The maxima will last out the winter and then a newer car will be purchased.

Here are the criteria:

Wagon or hatchback, 2003 or newer, MUST BE MANUAL!, some giddyup would be nice but i know that will negatively impact the FE. Quiet interior. This can be helped with further sound insulation but right now the Max sucks for road noise...for being nissans "flagship" its got very exterior noise...i had a 94 BMW 540i Wagon that was whisper quiet and i miss that.

So far here are the candidates

Subaru Impreza 2.5TS Wagon....unfortunatelly, for such a small car it gets bad MPG due to the AWD. This is so far my primary choice. asthetically pleasing interior and exterior.
Mazda 3. I'd prefer the 2.0L but in Canada they are rare so the 2.3L. i'm hearing mixed reviews on the Mazda 3. some ppl love them, other ppl have issues. Rust seems to be an issue with 04/05 years.
Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. biggest draw back. 1.8L and 130hp is not enough for that size of the car. the XRS with 180hp doesnt really help because its a high revving, low torque motor.
Nissan Versa. So far i'm liking what i'm seeing other than the interior....ugh...

unfortunately no VW or AUDI are included in my list. Its either a trouble free car or its a total POS lemon which sucks you dry keeping up with maintenance. That sucks since the TDI Wagon Jetta would be primo.

So any other recommendations that i might be missing?

the drive consists of mostly 50mph country roads with some city driving or highway/city driving.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Red_Liner740; 11-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: tried to edit spelling error in title