Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Max - '01 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary Ed.
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)
Please recommend my next vehicle.

Damn, cant edit titles. I meant to write "recommend!"

So my current car is an 01 Maxima, and i've come close to getting 30mpgs on a regular basis. Its hard, 3L 227hp and still being geared short in 5th gear plus very large profile of the car.

anyways, the car is rotting away. I only had it for last 2.5 years so the damage was done way before i got ahold of it. Aside from the regular superficial rust on the quarter panels, hood, A pillars, roof by the windshield , i lately discovered it has a rotting front subframe (fwd motor mount and radiator are attached to it) and this was the deal breaker. the car has 240,000km and the engine/interior are in great shape but the rust is just too far gone.

So i'm shopping for a newer car, and i would LOVE your guys recommendations.

checking EPA results can only give so much since we all know some cars can beat the EPA mpgs by a long shot while others are much harder to work with.

The maxima will last out the winter and then a newer car will be purchased.

Here are the criteria:

Wagon or hatchback, 2003 or newer, MUST BE MANUAL!, some giddyup would be nice but i know that will negatively impact the FE. Quiet interior. This can be helped with further sound insulation but right now the Max sucks for road noise...for being nissans "flagship" its got very exterior noise...i had a 94 BMW 540i Wagon that was whisper quiet and i miss that.

So far here are the candidates

Subaru Impreza 2.5TS Wagon....unfortunatelly, for such a small car it gets bad MPG due to the AWD. This is so far my primary choice. asthetically pleasing interior and exterior.
Mazda 3. I'd prefer the 2.0L but in Canada they are rare so the 2.3L. i'm hearing mixed reviews on the Mazda 3. some ppl love them, other ppl have issues. Rust seems to be an issue with 04/05 years.
Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. biggest draw back. 1.8L and 130hp is not enough for that size of the car. the XRS with 180hp doesnt really help because its a high revving, low torque motor.
Nissan Versa. So far i'm liking what i'm seeing other than the interior....ugh...

unfortunately no VW or AUDI are included in my list. Its either a trouble free car or its a total POS lemon which sucks you dry keeping up with maintenance. That sucks since the TDI Wagon Jetta would be primo.

So any other recommendations that i might be missing?

the drive consists of mostly 50mph country roads with some city driving or highway/city driving.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Red_Liner740; 11-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: tried to edit spelling error in title
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post

So far here are the candidates

Subaru Impreza 2.5TS Wagon....unfortunatelly, for such a small car it gets bad MPG due to the AWD. This is so far my primary choice. asthetically pleasing interior and exterior.
Note that the 2012 impreza has a smaller displacement engine, 2.0 to be precise. According to Subaru, one tank can yield 1000 km, and that is surprisingly good given its AWD nature. It has the best fuel economy for an AWD car sitting at 27/36 according to Subaru. Not only is the new engine more frugal, it is more responsive and SMALLER !

2012 Subaru Impreza: Deep Dive
Quote:
"The profile of the front, the sharpness everywhere, all this was about fuel economy, with considerations of aesthetics afterward," said Lin. The race to improve gas mileage was the one Subaru felt it had to win. Big.

"We optimized the length and profile of the roof and the sharp edges get air off the car and away from it instead of being turbulent against the car, and sucking against the car in the rear. It reduced drag, and we have a much-reduced Cd" says Lin. That's how the new Impreza gets 36 miles per gallon on the highway, a new record for a production all-wheel-drive car."
I was told it will be available in November.

I am also considering a new car, well my parents are, and the 2012 Impreza wagon is at the top of their list.

Hope this helps !

Last edited by CigaR007; 11-04-2011 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
IMO get over the power trip, and learn to live with a normal hp car. I've owned a 1st gen Matrix. The power was plenty for 99% of driving, and I drive in the city, not country roads.

That being said, I'd go for a Prius (and I did). Its more zippy off the line due to the electric and gets way better mileage. If you want the more zip go with a 2010+ as it has the 1.8L vs the 1.5L.

That probably won't tickle your spot though, so I'll also suggest the new Focus hatchback. You can even get them in SFE trim to have some factory ecomods done.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
I picked up my 2012 Focus and it has plenty of power (160hp DOHC). It was the only 40mpg car I test drive that felt like I wasn't compromising. So I'm going to suggest that, exp since the gas savings is paying for itself.

The new Civic Si is worth a look as well.

I'm also going to suggest a used matrix. You have the Pontiac version on your list (vibe).

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Max - '01 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary Ed.
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)
I guess I need to clarify that I won't be buying a brand new car. Just something newer. Price range up 8K.
I'm also not on a power trip. Lol. I didn't get the max for its speed although its suprisingly quick. 3000 lbs car and 130 hp is a bit concerning. Every review I read on matrix stated that they are concerned with lack of power.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Well since it doesn't have to be new....

Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
... Every review I read on matrix stated that they are concerned with lack of power.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I appreciate it.
Take it for a test drive and see for yourself. Reviews can be useful but you shouldn't live by what they say. I'm convinced they're all bias. Plus not every car is made the same. they all vary year to year, build cycle to build cycle hell they even vary day to day and that's why some people don't buy cars built on Mondays or Fridays. The matrix is directly comparable to a corolla IMO and the matrix shares the exact same engine in the Pontiac vibe.

Pontiac Vibe vs. Toyota Matrix: Six of one, a half-dozen of the other? - Comparative Tests - 2009 Pontiac Vibe - 2009 Toyota Matrix - The Car Guide

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Why are you concerned about a lack of power? Toyota sold a billion Corollas/Matrix/Vibes with that drivetrain/platform. Seems like a the motoring masses are fine with it.

Heck, I'm totally fine with ~50 hp in my ~1800 lb car (Firefly) and, yes I've driven it in & around Toronto. (I'd suggest a 49 hp Geo Metro XFi, but they were never sold in Canada )

If you're looking for an "entertaining" drive, I'd say change your game!

So I'm going to second Daox's advice and suggest you try a used 2004+ Prius. It's a rolling video game - a different kind of game that is dead reliable and will get phenomenal mileage in your typical use (mostly 50 mph driving). It's probably the most entertaining car I've ever driven, in a nerdy sort of way (not that there's anything wrong with that). More room inside than the Matrix/Vibe, too.

Like you, I also strongly prefer a manual transmission, but I'd give up a stick for the Prius electronic CVT.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread