View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhifer View Post
Hello folks, I'm new here and just bought a 1998 honda Civic HX. I'm located in San Francisco, CA. I bought it from an original owner with 146k with original clutch and recently replaced timing belt and water pump.

I was wondering what spark plugs, spark plug wires, and transmission fluid I should use to maximize reliability and FE. I'm planning to continue using 5w30 synthetic oil with either mobil one filter or Wix filter.

Any write up on how to replace the PCV valve on the HX d16y5 motor?

I got 38.8 MPG Doing 90% highway and 10% city in 103 miles of driving. I was going 65-75MPH on highway. I shift at 3,000 RPM. I'm happy with it but more the better if possible for this CA version.

Any more recommendation on what to replace? The car runs extremely well for 146k miles and original clutch!
Congrats on the great car. It would be cool to have the EGR and the better gearing that car offers over my DX. Let's see... I just changed the spark plugs. Chose NGK single platinum on advice. They work fine. Royal Purple going into the MT soon. I run 0w30 motor oil right now.

You can get much more than 39mpg from that car. I got 39 often in my DX before ecomodding/hypermiling. Slow down to 65 mph, and you'll benefit. Shift below 2500 rpms and you'll benefit. Disconnect the power steering. We don't need it on these lightweight cars and after 5 mph, you will not notice much difference in steering. Disconnect it and the loss of that parasitic draw on the engine can result in fuel economy benefits.

For the PCV replacement, I posted a link to a free copy of the Honda Service Manual for our cars. It'll help:
Honda civic ServiceManual 96-98.pdf

Welcome to EM!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xhifer (11-07-2011)