View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
California98Civic brought up a good point about pulsing and gliding, which I have seen is proven to be more efficient, but P&G isn't an option for me. I can't turn off AWD, and I can only fix so much of my ~.33 cd. Unless I can figure out a better way, cruising at constant speed at low loads seems to be my best bet for highway mileage. On the aside, targeted mpg on hills seems to garner fantastic gains in mpg.
I hear you. Most important thing is to figure out the enjoyable way to make your car more efficient, mile-for-mile, on fuel. You can P&G one of these cars, with the engine ON. I did pretty well with my wife's Subaru Forester once, which is an auto AWD too. I squeezed maybe 5 mpg more over the long haul on the highway. I can't fully recall. I posted about it here somewhere. My technique was probably quite sub-optimal, though.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.