View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Peakster: that's what route selection is for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undie View Post
When you shut off your motor do you bump start it or use the starter?
Clutch start if I'm planning another pulse; key start if I'm coasting to a stop where I'm going to be waiting a while.

Quote:
Are you not worried about excessive clutch wear? (or starter if you use that)
Excessive, no. There's going to be some wear, but I figure it's less demanding on the clutch to spin up the motor compared to the wear from accelerating the car from a dead stop. Drivers who slip their clutches when downshifting are wearing them out faster than I am with P&G.

People with automatics are going to see more starter wear because they have no option.

A lot will depend on how good (technically) you are at it. Rough drivers are going to put more wear on the drivetrain in general.

When you get practiced at clutch starting, it's very smooth. I recently showed the technique to someone, and I had to say out loud when I was killing the motor & when I had clutch started it.

Another important tip: to restart, choose a higher gear for the bump than the one you'd normally be in for the current road speed. Then shift back down to drive. Makes it a lot smoother. And Peakster's right - you just lightly/partially engage the clutch to spin up the motor and immediately de-clutch again once it fires. Then select the proper gear as usual (rev matched engagement is best).

Quote:
It is possible that this technique is just not for me because I have a lot of mechanical sympathy
Understandable. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't 100% comfortable with the idea.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget