View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #217 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
So just curious, but would creating a body that is wider but significantly smoother than the original body result in about the same drag? I know the goal would be to have it be narrow and smoother, but the fact that the front wheels turn put a dampener on things. If it would be possible, I think almost narrowing the suspension components and rear axles would be an idea.

I am trying to sketch this up. Still away from my main computer and everything, so I get the joy of doing this longhand. I'll download and install GIMP and play with that for a bit in a few.

But would just making the car skin in the shape of a plane be about the ideal shape? Like this kind of wing (LINK)? Something like that for a top-down view of the car might be a little hard (maybe make little nudges outwards for the rear wheels), but my main worry is just making sure the front wheels are covered properly. Otherwise I really like the idea of trying Kach22's first sketchup.

Also going to sketch up a few with a shorter frame. Keep it just as wide, but shorter. Muuuch shorter.

And no I am not really coherent. Never am, never will be.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)