View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #191 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artan View Post
...They say so but as soon as you turn the car on the oil will be heated up, small amount of water perticles will be removed (evaporate). Although water does not mix with oil but even if it stays in the oil that is a very small amount of it. That is almost zero.
Water does, in fact, mix with oil. Google "emulsification". Also look on the oil cap of any car that is driven only for short periods of time. The "cheese" you see on the cap is a mixture of oil and water.

Oil takes a while to get up to operating temperature where the water can outgas. I have heard a rule of thumb is that the oil takes twice as long to get to operating temp as the coolant does. Check into an oil temperature gauge if you want to see this illustrated.

As for the "almost zero" idea, well I guess we go back to the argument about suspended particulates. And you contend that you can feel anything that is large enough to matter--which is pretty good, since I don't think most of us can feel a particular 0.001" in size through a film of oil.

-soD