View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
States like Florida allow property tax exemptions for residents after 5 years, or at least they did when I lived there. They make their money on tolls and other user fees. My preference would be to have taxes on consumption, which rewards conservation.

I know of examples where I live in Va where older people have to choose between essential medications, food, and paying taxes to avoid confiscation of their property. In some cases the tax is more than they paid for the land after residing for 40+ years.

MY suggestion would be to energise the senior population to see if you can get the homesteaders exemption type law passed in your areas.

You have to laugh when you get a tax bill on a 40 year old vehicle, but at least here in York County we are only paying a rate of .684%. It is my understanding that there are places in the northern midwest where the rates are up to 10 times higher.

Many of our schools here are 50 years old. In some cases they use trailer units instead of building expensive new schools.

regards
Mech