View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinduck View Post
Mhhh... lets see..
2) Tire pressure! I go 0,3 bar below max. sidewall pressure. For me, this is the compromise between FE and uneven tire wear. Cannot give FE improvement numbers for this, though.

3) My upper grill block seems to have given me around +5 mpg (48 => 53 mpg on my morning commute), though this is not A-B-A tested, just my trip data.

so long,

tinduck
Go directly to max sidewall. The improvement up to that level is well documented and safe within the tire manufacturer's recommendation.

Not to be too critical, but your grill block outsized improvement of about 10% is not supported by A-B-A testing of others. Testing has shown improvements of the order of 3%, give or take a bit. Such testing usually starts with a well warmed car and drive train, otherwise you are testing two effects at the same time - warmup characteristics and aerodynamics. That said, fuel improvement is fuel improvement and a quicker warmup with less wasted fuel is still a genuine savings. Good savings, and good results.

You might achieve further improvement with some smooth wheel caps and some nicely designed and finished wheel spats. They are a good start down the ecomodding road.

Good econodriving