View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
spacer
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Doing ok in my HHR so far

After my first full fill-up session, after mixed driving, probably 75/25 highway/city, my DIC was reading 28.5, which was very pleasing to me, as the EPA rating for highway driving alone is 28. Then, when I did the figuring at the pump (I always double check car computers on important stuff), I was surprised to find myself doing a bit better than the car was telling me! Getting close to the 30mpg mark there!

So, after that fillup, we went to have tur-duck-hen with friends down in Clanton today, mostly highway (probably about 12% town driving)... a two hour round trip. The DIC is reading 31.7 as it sits in the garage. If the car is still reading lower than actual, I'll be mighty pleased indeed. The gas gauge is still well above the 3/4 level. Sooooo much easier on the pocketbook than the old Trailblazer.
Also, while I was driving about 60-65 most of the way, I didn't really do much out of the ordinary, beyond letting up near the hill crest and the like. I left the car in gear the whole time, too.