Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Doing ok in my HHR so far

After my first full fill-up session, after mixed driving, probably 75/25 highway/city, my DIC was reading 28.5, which was very pleasing to me, as the EPA rating for highway driving alone is 28. Then, when I did the figuring at the pump (I always double check car computers on important stuff), I was surprised to find myself doing a bit better than the car was telling me! Getting close to the 30mpg mark there!

So, after that fillup, we went to have tur-duck-hen with friends down in Clanton today, mostly highway (probably about 12% town driving)... a two hour round trip. The DIC is reading 31.7 as it sits in the garage. If the car is still reading lower than actual, I'll be mighty pleased indeed. The gas gauge is still well above the 3/4 level. Sooooo much easier on the pocketbook than the old Trailblazer.
Also, while I was driving about 60-65 most of the way, I didn't really do much out of the ordinary, beyond letting up near the hill crest and the like. I left the car in gear the whole time, too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacer View Post
Sooooo much easier on the pocketbook than the old Trailblazer.
Good to hear you're beating the EPA-highway numbers and using less fuel overall.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
mostly harmless

The day before I bought my HHR, we replaced my wife's thirsty '08 Saturn Vue with a 2011 Chevy Cruze. While I was in on the test drive, tonight was the first time I've had a chance to get to know it. Very nice, rides well, and corners with confidence.
I reset the DIC as we left the house, and our trip into town (part freeway at 65, part two lane at 50-55) averaged 38.7mpg. We did check the DIC on her car at the pump, and it was dead-on.
After some toodling around in town, with dinner, a movie, and some shopping (traffic was pretty thick, but I'd wager nothing like this morning would have been), we came home on the interstate and the hilly two-lane again. When all was said and done, with a couple extra pull-ups to ensure clearance for everyones' doors in the garage, I shut the car off reading 33.7mpg.
My wife, who doesn't really bother too much with technique, has been commuting to work and back with a 31.5 reading.

We're talking about a trip to Chattanooga in the near future with some friends. I'd like to see how well I can do with the Cruze on that trip. It's easier to get good mileage with it compared to my HHR and its boxier shape, and that's great for my wife. I still need to be able to haul the dogs while keeping 'em out of the back seat.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevanwillson View Post
Want to know how it is possible.
How what is possible?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
Nice job man. 33 mpg feels nice. I managed to squeeze that out of my girlfriends Malibu a few times. And that thing is a freakin v-6! Amazing how a change in your foot can help lol
Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
mostly harmless

I'm still wondering at what I used to do in my Camaros, an '86 and an '89, both 305/700r4, and I could regularly get better than 30 on the highway with either of 'em.
Then again, I've always had a real light foot anyway.
I wonder what I'd have gotten in them if I'd known what I was doing...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hhr dic mpg chevy highway