View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Welcome to e.m. with your 240! They're not known as gas sippers but definitely good cars.

I was a Volvo 240 guy before we bought my Civic and the wife's Accord. Our family has owned six of them, and we still have three of those. I've spent many hours tending to the various needs of those cars. Everything from tuneups + brakes to seat rebuilds, roof rack re-mounting, and even the notorious in-tank pump replacement.

We had an '83 with the early fuel injection setup - no carb. I think maybe the carb'ed version didn't have an in tank pump? Try find out, if you didn't already. Access to in-tank pump is via a rounded-corner rectangular panel at the far forward raised end of the trunk, under the carpet/mat. One lead is for the fuel gauge sensor, one is ground (you'll see the grounding screw). If you see more than 2 wires they are for a pump.

I've replaced 2 or 3 in-tank pumps on these. Doable, but not a quick job. I have a brass tool dedicated to remove the bung nut at top of tank. Overpriced at about $50 from ipdusa.com. I hear you can use a sink basin nut wrench but haven't tried that.

Our family still has 2 '89's and a '92 - though one of the '89's is headed for Volvo Valhalla soon.