View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You shouldn't have an issue with a chain drive, motorcycle chains are moving much faster and the clutches that I've seen have a sprocket right on the clutch so that side is already designed to go as fast as the engine is turning and you shouldn't have to worry about the chain being to small because the largest load that it will see is that of the small gasoline engine that is being used to maintain vehicle speed, so at that point I would figure out the gear ratio of your rear end of your truck and figure out what size gear ratio you would need to make the gasoline engine run at near top speed, maybe gear it for 70mph? 10% slower would be 63mph and if your engine is designed to run at 3,600rpm then 3,200RPM isn't a bad speed for cruising, that way you don't destroy your engine if you go to pass someone.
I would weld your sprocket that goes on the trucks drive shaft right on to the drive shaft if you could, or if you can find a hub for a range of sprocket sizes weld that on so you can change sprockets if you have to.