Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You shouldn't have an issue with a chain drive, motorcycle chains are moving much faster and the clutches that I've seen have a sprocket right on the clutch so that side is already designed to go as fast as the engine is turning and you shouldn't have to worry about the chain being to small because the largest load that it will see is that of the small gasoline engine that is being used to maintain vehicle speed, so at that point I would figure out the gear ratio of your rear end of your truck and figure out what size gear ratio you would need to make the gasoline engine run at near top speed, maybe gear it for 70mph? 10% slower would be 63mph and if your engine is designed to run at 3,600rpm then 3,200RPM isn't a bad speed for cruising, that way you don't destroy your engine if you go to pass someone.
I would weld your sprocket that goes on the trucks drive shaft right on to the drive shaft if you could, or if you can find a hub for a range of sprocket sizes weld that on so you can change sprockets if you have to.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You shouldn't have an issue with a chain drive...
I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. There are many steps between now and when I need to decide on a hybrid drive type.

First, there is much motor, controller, and DC/DC converter experimentation.

Then I figure out how many batteries I can install, making allowances for the battery frames.

Then I can determine where the batteries will fit, make the battery boxes, get them installed and working.

After I can finally put a license on it, then I'll find out the range.

At that point I find out whether I need to go hybrid.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 2 - the VFD

They are 'cleaning up' at work today and the 300 HP VFD that I was wanting a gate pass for was close to being thrown in the scrap heap. I caught them before the fork truck picked it up.

I will be bringing our utility trailer to work to pick up the VFD, line and load reactors. If I want to work on removing the VFD from the cabinet (6 feet tall, 3 feet wide, 18 inches deep) then my car will be outside and these parts in the garage. A bit of incentive to get some work done on SalvageS10!

The VFD is larger than I remember. It needs to be re-arranged to fit into the bed of the S10, but Im confident that I can make it fit.

The VFD has not been run for 2 years. It was in running condition when it was turned off and decommissioned. I'll need to apply some elbow grease to clean it up, and I'll likely disconnect the capacitors before powering it up for a test.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 3 - getting the VFD home

I got the 300 HP VFD loaded into my utility trailer. A lot more people at work know about the electric truck now. I have more incentive to get the thing done!

The VFD, with the enclosure and heat sinks, is about 600 lbs as measured by the scale on the fork truck that lifted it. Some of the sheet metal was bent up as we loaded it, but the electronics were kept safe.

I also collected a 5 hp, a 10 hp and a 20 hp VFD that were stacked and ready for the dumpster.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 5 - start work on the VFD

Move small VFDs into the garage for storage.

Check the various mounting bolts on the 300 HP- 1/2 inch, 3/8 and 5/16. Nothing like consistency.

I'll need to remove the lexan cover that keeps errant fingers out of the high voltage electronics before all of bolts are accessible. I might have to remove a couple of jumper cables within the cabinet as well. The capacitors are mounted in the base, partially buried in the cooling cabinet. There is also a 'DC Bus Reactor'. This is going to be interesting.

The VFD is still outside and there is not much daylight after I get home from work.

I should get some pictures posted.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 12 - problems working on

All the bolts removed. A couple of cables removed from 'DC Bus Reactor' to buss bars. With all bolts removed from the frame I still cannot remove the drive from the cabinet. In fact, I can't move the drive at all. I'm starting to think that the VFD will need to come into the garage with the trailer, and that I will still have difficulty disassembling the unit.

Perhaps if all else fails I can use the large VFD as a rack, with all of the required spacing already set for 600V, the insulators (once they are cleaned up) and the bracing. Add new IGBTs, a newer set of (perhaps smaller) capacitors and a new control board to drive the IGBTs. The mechanical stuff is done, which is normally my big problem …
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 13 - the utility Trailer and VFD are inside

I got the utility trailer with the VFD in the garage (a small success).

I hope to post some pictures when I get them downloaded from the camera
Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Pictures of truck, before beginning of conversion

Nothing special, but here is SalvageS10

1991 Chev S10 4x4 extended cab, about 300,000 km

These pictures are from early August
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9957f.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	9906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9961c.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	9907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9968a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	9908  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 15 - working on VFD

Almost everything on this Allen Bradley VFD is very corroded. If I am going to re-use this equipment it will need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, and assembled one section at a time. Verification of each section as it goes back together would be a good idea.

The cabinet that surrounds the electronics appears to be the frame that all of the components and component assemblies are attached to. The assemblies are mounted in layers. I have labeled about 40 connectors and individual wires that carry signals from one assembly to another. Pictures have been taken and audio notes recorded of what is coming apart, and how it needs to go back together. The original intent was to removed the electronics from the cabinet and use what appeared to be the frame - similar to angle iron - to mount the electronics in the box of the truck. It appears that this plan must be change.

I have been very optimistic on the chances of getting this thing back together again and operational. That optimism is faltering.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Dec 17 - VFD disassembly nearing completion

I spent another few hours trying to get this thing apart. For the most part, I've been successful.

I believe that the larger components can be re-used. These include:
- the 500 VDC electrolytic capacitors (two banks in series for 1000 VDC)
- the output terminals to connect to the motor
- the LEM current sensors which monitor the current out to the motor
- the DC bus fuse
- the capacitor mounting hardware
- the truly massive aluminum heat sinks
- the cooling fan

The transistors are not modern IGBTs. I have some research to do on them but they appear to be one or two generations older. I suspect that they are not as efficient as modern IGBTs (as evidenced by the size of the heat sinks). The driver electronics are separate boards. There are many signals between boards and a great deal of this design likely dealt with what I expect is a lot of signal noise.

Even if these transistors turned out to be efficient, there are too many interconnects for me to be confident in the outcome. It is unlikely that I will be able to assemble this properly after the cleaning is complete.

Last edited by thingstodo; 12-18-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Corrected capacitor rating
Reply  Post New Thread