View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Fixed, it seems. Thanks to all for your input. All the baffling DTCs were apparently merely incidental, and they are gone and not returning. I did not buy the ECU, and I'm glad. I did not buy the new MAP sensor, and I'm glad. Testing and trouble shooting gradually revealed the reality: my troubles seem to have been caused by a partial failure of the ignition coil. When I had tested the coil a few weeks ago by simply warming up to running temp it was fine. But as the distributor gets hotter during 15mins of 2200 RPMs it fails. The ICM was fried too. I bought a new rebuilt distributor (got a lifetime warranty!). Honda-tech.com was absolutely indispensable!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.