View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
In the end it is all about versatility.

So you want good mpg from your bike and you probably will but if you are after ultimate mpg, then you have to forget about spirited driving and then the 250's or 125 become an option.

But, when 250's are concerned, forget about versatility, they are only good for going to work and back and occasionnal shift to the movie theatre with the missus.

I have own a 750 (took me two days to ride a one day long ride had I use my car instead), then a 650 single wich was already marginal for highway use : I wouldn't have put 500 miles on it in a single day. Then a 250 scooter wich was a joke as far as road handling was concerned (and I need proper road handling given my work commute) then went back to a 250 "proper bike" wich in almost standard trim (+1 tooth front sprocket, flat bars, small screen) gives me 74 mpg average.

I have my share of red lights, it gets its share of abuse (ha, the thrill of going flat out (ha the shame of 85 mph flat out)) but I wouldn't take it for a trip longer than say 100 miles.

Long story short, getting consistant 70+ mpg out of a 600 supersport is quite a challenge but this low target is the price for still being able to jump on the bike and ride to the other ocean if needs be.
A much smaller bike would definitely require a much higher level of urge to perform it ...

All in all : have fun modding it !
Your comment reminded me of this thread about touring on the CBR250R -

Artic circle journey - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Went from Florida to the Arctic Circle and back (12,000 mi) on a 250. That's getting the most out of what you got...

Jay

Last edited by jkv357; 12-14-2011 at 10:37 AM..