Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
In the end it is all about versatility.

So you want good mpg from your bike and you probably will but if you are after ultimate mpg, then you have to forget about spirited driving and then the 250's or 125 become an option.

But, when 250's are concerned, forget about versatility, they are only good for going to work and back and occasionnal shift to the movie theatre with the missus.

I have own a 750 (took me two days to ride a one day long ride had I use my car instead), then a 650 single wich was already marginal for highway use : I wouldn't have put 500 miles on it in a single day. Then a 250 scooter wich was a joke as far as road handling was concerned (and I need proper road handling given my work commute) then went back to a 250 "proper bike" wich in almost standard trim (+1 tooth front sprocket, flat bars, small screen) gives me 74 mpg average.

I have my share of red lights, it gets its share of abuse (ha, the thrill of going flat out (ha the shame of 85 mph flat out)) but I wouldn't take it for a trip longer than say 100 miles.

Long story short, getting consistant 70+ mpg out of a 600 supersport is quite a challenge but this low target is the price for still being able to jump on the bike and ride to the other ocean if needs be.
A much smaller bike would definitely require a much higher level of urge to perform it ...

All in all : have fun modding it !

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One of my nephews blew up the motor on his 05 or 06 Ninga 250, might offer him $200 come Christmas to have a project or find a new motor. Either way I'll come out OK. My current riding/driving style and route to work the 250 will probably be OK. Especially if it's cheap enough. Need to price for a replacement motor.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
One of my nephews blew up the motor on his 05 or 06 Ninga 250, might offer him $200 come Christmas to have a project or find a new motor. Either way I'll come out OK. My current riding/driving style and route to work the 250 will probably be OK. Especially if it's cheap enough. Need to price for a replacement motor.
Look around here - Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index - for Ninja info and possibly engines or engine prices for the Ninja 250.

Jay
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quits zx6 - '90 kawasaki zx6
90 day: 58.8 mpg (US)
I want to note that I am getting 55 mpg with only one four mile stretch at a constant 60 mph. The other 7 miles is riddled with lights. I haven't traveled more than 11 miles at one time so I don't get the 40 to 50 miles straight running time. Mine is 11 miles and sit for 5-6 hours. Then cold start and drive another 11 miles then it only sits an hour and another 11 miles. It then sits for 3-4 hours and is cold started again for the last trek.

I have really bad conditions for max mpg, but I really think I can hit 70 mpg with my gearing change and warmer weather. Right now is under 20 degrees in the mornings and a high of 35-40 during the day. I have also ridden a few days with rain and or snow. Which really makes it hard to try any hypermiling techniques.

I plan on trying to get in a good 100- 150 mile ride at a constant 60 mph to see how it does.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Your commute is certainly less than optimum for high MPGs, so those numbers from a ZX6 are even more impressive.

Another factor currently holding the numbers down is winter-blend gas. You'll see a significant drop in MPG just because of those changes. It changes to winter-blend after Sept 15 in most areas, and I did notice a MPG drop with the car just after that time even though the weather was still reasonably warm.

Running a synthetic oil with a lower grade of 5W would probably help you also. A 5W-40 synthetic like Rotella T6 will reduce some of the oil's resistance to flow when cold and during warm-up. Because your commute isn't very long, and the temps are pretty low, I doubt the oil temp is getting high enough to reach its high range (40), so most of the time it's in-between. Oils with low "W" ratings give better mileage because they flow easier during the significant amount of time the oil takes to reach its high temp rating. All of the mileage advantage from lower viscosity oils (like Mobil1 0W-30 "Advanced Fuel Economy") comes during that time - there's no mileage increase once it's fully warm.

Gas without Ethanol will also help bump your mileage. Depending on the additional cost, and how much mileage increase it gives, it may cost less per mile or it may not.

My SV doesn't mind in-town riding, and has delivered almost the same mileage in-town as on the hwy, but it's not a full-fairing model so it's pushing a lot of wind at speed.

Let us know what you get at a steady 60 MPH if you get a chance, but don't be too worried if it's not what you hoped - I'm sure the mid-summer numbers will be significantly higher.

Jay

Last edited by jkv357; 12-14-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
In the end it is all about versatility.

So you want good mpg from your bike and you probably will but if you are after ultimate mpg, then you have to forget about spirited driving and then the 250's or 125 become an option.

But, when 250's are concerned, forget about versatility, they are only good for going to work and back and occasionnal shift to the movie theatre with the missus.

I have own a 750 (took me two days to ride a one day long ride had I use my car instead), then a 650 single wich was already marginal for highway use : I wouldn't have put 500 miles on it in a single day. Then a 250 scooter wich was a joke as far as road handling was concerned (and I need proper road handling given my work commute) then went back to a 250 "proper bike" wich in almost standard trim (+1 tooth front sprocket, flat bars, small screen) gives me 74 mpg average.

I have my share of red lights, it gets its share of abuse (ha, the thrill of going flat out (ha the shame of 85 mph flat out)) but I wouldn't take it for a trip longer than say 100 miles.

Long story short, getting consistant 70+ mpg out of a 600 supersport is quite a challenge but this low target is the price for still being able to jump on the bike and ride to the other ocean if needs be.
A much smaller bike would definitely require a much higher level of urge to perform it ...

All in all : have fun modding it !
Your comment reminded me of this thread about touring on the CBR250R -

Artic circle journey - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Went from Florida to the Arctic Circle and back (12,000 mi) on a 250. That's getting the most out of what you got...

Jay

Last edited by jkv357; 12-14-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

67.7 mpg

Had a few small snow storms, wet roads and cold temps, but still managed 67.7 mpg. I went 193 miles and filled with 2.85 gallons of gasoline. I had alittle help in that I made a few more trips to work due to customers needing things after hours. My bike usually wasn't as cold on these trips as it hadn't been sitting too long. Also I left my phone at work and had to make an extra trip to work and back with a warm engine on one day.

I usually fill my bike when the light comes on which is around 3 gallons depending on how quick I can make the stop. I filled sooner this time because when I got to 190 miles I got worried that the light wasn't working.

This tank I had my tires filled 40 front and 45 rear. I also had my carb mixture screws leaned out some. I also made a bigger effort to eoc as much as possible but with the cold temps I didn't kill the engine at stops. Sometimes I would eoc and let the clutch out to jump start the engine as I came up to the light and let it idle. I also made an effort to drive 55-60 instead of 62mph, and 30-35 instead of 40mph in town.

I am extremely happy and feel that 70 isn't that far out of the question. My goal in the spring and summer months with my gearing change is for 80 mpg consistently.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Why not pack a lunch, to avoid going home?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It makes my daughters day to see me and eat lunch with me.

When she is old enough for school then I will stop.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quits View Post
It makes my daughters day to see me and eat lunch with me.

When she is old enough for school then I will stop.
Good enough reason!!

Reply  Post New Thread