View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
PR for in-town driving: 24.77 mpg.

I broke my rule a few times, but was overall fairly obedient. I rarely peeked at the speedo for cruising speeds, but did look on a few other occasions. Overall, this is an area with room for improvement, but this tank was a game changer.

I want to qualify the mpg PR with a bunch of noise variables. Previous tanks succumbed to lower tire pressure, which I fixed this time around. Previous fill-up was unusually low, so I think that this one may have gotten a slight artificial boost. Overall, I still think this was an improvement.

Maybe by not peeking at the speedo so much, it focused my attention on more important aspects of anticipatory driving, and got me out of the 'stay in top gear' frame of mind and more into the 'maintain momentum' state of mind. But this is all too vague. I'll keep playing and see if there is a trend.

Either way, decreased speedometer precision did not adversely affect my mileage, at least for this tank, which was my main concern. I suppose for someone just learning stick, who was really unsure of shift points and engine speed, the results might be different.