View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Alt kill switch planning (help)

I have been running without my alternator for a couple months. I just disconnect it, wrap the ends against water, and go. If I run too far or too low, I go through the slight pain of popping the hood and reconnecting. I want to plan and install a kill switch. I need help.

Where can I cut in for the splice for the switch without damaging the alternator? And can I do it at the fuse box inside the cabin? That would be much easier in terms of routing, but I doubt it is effective and safe for the alternator. Thoughts?

Here is, I think, the appropriate wiring diagram from the Honda Service Manual. I have checked all the wires and the color-coding matches. The wht wire is a heavy lone wire and the four others are bundled into a 4P connector [EDIT: The ECM/PCM ("ECU") is in the cabin]:

I am aware of Daox's mod, but I am uncertain of what line into the cabin I might safely use on my civic. The wht/red line from the 4P connector seems like a candidate.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alt circuit diagram2.jpg
Views:	2287
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	9903  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 12-17-2011 at 02:52 PM..