View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #5337 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
True, but isn't the point of PWM to turn it on and off so the motor sees an average voltage... Ie 50% PWM the motor will see an average of 50% of the battery voltage.....
A friend of mine has a factory converted EV, but it's an older one, and the original controller wasn't very good. (The original may have even been contactor-based!)

A friend of his (who happens to be an electrical engineer who works for the power company) built a custom DC Motor controller. It's not an Open Revolt, just something he made, but he did a really nice job on it.

The neat feature on it is that it can take a higher voltage in and run it to the motor as a lower voltage. I think the idea for it was that he could have a higher voltage battery pack than what the motor was designed for. (I think it was a 72V motor and currently has a 144V battery pack)

The higher voltage pack means lower amp draw, smaller wires, etc. (True, you can get some of the same advantages with "buddy-pairs" or other ways of paralleling batteries, but you quickly get stuck at particular size packs, voltages, # of batteries, etc.)

I remember that the output voltage to the motor was reprogrammable. So, I think that it wasn't a DC/DC setup inside the controller, but rather just used PWM to limit apparent voltage, I think - don't quote me on that.

What I was originally going to suggest is that you could use whatever higher voltage battery pack you want, and then limit PWM duty to whatever the correct percent would be. I don't know exactly how you would do that in the code, but I think Paul stated it pretty straight forward in the post directly above this one.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos