View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Its well proven and measurable on a dyno that insulating an exhaust pipe can improve power through reduction of back pressure. And a reduction in back pressure will translate to a real world savings in fuel. Why would you list it here?
Because the implied claims I saw for great fuel economy on the Thermo-Tec box in the Autozone seemed misleading. Unicorns often exaggerate plausible results for marketing advantage, like a horse with a horn, or that can sprout wings and fly! But maybe this thread should be moved by moderators. I'd support that.

Quote:
If your going to do a grill block of any kind you will want to reduce under hood temps as much as possible.
Agreed. And so, the questions. Thanks.

Quote:
PS. don't assume painting a heat shield black is going to make it work better. It may make it work worse.
I didn't. It's about appearance. Only top side is painted. Why worse?

And thanks for the link. The civic has a cover, but I would bet it could be improved.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.