View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Yes you can tell it is bloated with features it really does not need. The whole thing felt sluggish but hey it a cruiser. The six speed really is awsome. I was crusing 60 mph at 1600 rpm. In traffic I was around 11-1200 rpm. It looks like 43 mph was the sweet spot(rpm wise) 1100 rpm. This was with the AC set at 83 degrees also. Who knows maybe the rent car place slammed it fuel of fuel messing up the results so take it with a grain of salt. I think being able to turn those kind of RPM at speed you just ought to be able to pull down some big numbers even for a 6 cylinder.
I'm glad to hear the 6-speed works well in the sedan. The Vue (small SUV) also has the same transmission and didn't work well in city driving.

The Malibu is the twin to the Aura. After the strike is over (both cars are assembled here in Kansas City), the 6-speed should be installed in the 4-cylinder, LTZ. So far they left it for V6's only, but really could help the city numbers with the additionally available gears.

This is HUGE for GM to try something other than the old 4-speed auto -- which was the only option for most cars.

But you're right -- they have it figured out to drop RPMs at cruise, which is a good for any engine size.

RH77

_
_